Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Heat is On

Training for the half-marathon (the Flying Pig back in May) and the Detroit marathon this October has been markedly different in one respect: the elements.

My half- training began in January, and you can probably imagine what it was like running during a New York winter. This past season was very mild--not a lot of snow or ice--but it still felt damn cold out there at 6 AM. I'd check the temperature the night before to see if I'd need two layers or three, and whether I'd need a headband, hat, gloves--or all of the above. If it wasn't clear how much I dislike treadmill running, those Jan/Feb runs certainly proved it.

Running is just as much a mental game as a physical one. It's extremely tough to drag yourself from a warm bed into a freezing cold park; it takes some heavy motivation. And you need a lot of mental stamina in addition to the physical to power through particularly tough or long workouts.

So now, with the days creeping toward August, my biggest foe is no longer the biting cold, but the deadly duo of heat and humidity. (And occasionally thunderstorms and flash floods too.)

Last Sunday's run was 8 miles, which I crazily ran in the afternoon. I didn't run in the AM, as recommended, because I wanted to make sure I had drunk enough fluids to sustain me for an hour plus. But! I also had my secret weapon: my fuel belt (You can see one here at www.fuelbelt.com). I filled two bottles with Gatorade, two with water, and I was good to go.

Before I headed out the door, Neal took a good look at me and started to laugh. In addition to my tank top, shorts, and fuel belt, I was also rocking my iPod armband, a brace on my left knee, and my Nike+ sensor on my right shoelaces. In all fairness, I could have added a hat, sunglasses, and watch--but I held back.

So. Running: not the most glamorous sport! But I was ready to tackle those miles in +90 degrees. Despite all my gear, however, the run came down to a mental game in the end. It was like slogging through a sauna, but I pushed through. And once I got home, I rewarded myself with a popsicle and a loooong shower.

Total distance covered (as of Sunday, 7/20): 27 miles
Days until race: 90

No comments: